Thought of rice creates a picture of many colours and various tastes which makes rice king of table. Here I have tried masoor dal rice. Masoor dal or whole masoor is also known as Brown lentils and we all know about the health benefits of adding lentils to our diet. Masoor dal rice is a simple, quick and healthy rice recipe; made with whole masoor dal and some basic Indian spices.
When it comes to rice I always prefer this kind of one pot or instant pot spicy rice over simple dal chawal. This masoor rice was introduced to me by one of our neighbour. I don’t know her exact recipe now but tried making it the way I like. Some people also add vegetables along with masoor dal which makes it a wholesome dish; but I skipped using veggies here. Instead I like to serve this rice with vegetable raita or masala chaas.
Sharing here my step-by-step recipe of Masoor rice. If you are looking for a healthy and quick meal option, do try this out.
Masoor Rice Recipe
Here is how to make this healthy and quick Masoor rice.
- Rice – 1 cups
- Whole masoor dal – 1/3 cup
- Onion – 1 , finely chopped
- Tomato – 1, finely chopped
- Bayleaf – 1
- Jeera/cumin – 1 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1tsp
- Coriander powder – 1&1/2 tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Kasuri methi – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Handful of corinader, for garnishing
- Wash and soak masoor dal in water till you make other preparations.
- Wash rice and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker or instant pot, add oil.
- Heat oil then add bay leaf. When it turns aromatic, add cumin seeds/jeera.
- Add chopped onion. Saute a minute.
- Add ginger garlic paste. Saute till raw smell goes off.
- Add chopped tomato and cook for a minute.
- Add spices – turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, kasuri methi and salt. Mix well.
- Add soaked masoor dal (water removed).
- Add washed rice and water. Give it a good mix.
- Cover the pressure cooker tightly with its lid.
- Pressure cook pulao for 3 to 4 whistles on a medium flame.
- When the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid.
- Serve masoor pulao garnished with chopped coriander leaves and masala chaas or vegetable raita.
You can make this recipe using Instant Pot as well.
You can always replace oil with ghee.
You can also add veggies of your choice along with dal.
Add the amount of water according to the type of rice you are using.