Kheer is a traditional Indian dessert recipe made during festival seasons or on special occasions. Basically, kheer is a versatile recipe and can be made with a wide variety of ingredients.
Badam kheer or almond kheer or badam payasam is a delicious, rich and creamy Indian dessert made with milk and almond paste and flavored with cardamoms, saffron with the addition of dry fruits like almonds and pistachios.
This filling, rich, creamy and healthy dessert is good to serve to kids and espacially, if they don’t like to eat dry fruits like almonds, this is a good way to introduce these nutrients in their diet.
Sharing here my step-by-step recipe of Badam Kheer. If you have a sweet tooth, do try this out.
Badam Kheer Recipe
Here is how to make this rich and creamy Indian dessert to prepare for dinner parties at home to leave your guests delighted.
- Full cream milk – 4 cups
- Rice – 3 tbsp
- Almonds – 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Saffron strands – 10-12
- Chopped dry fruits – almonds, pistachios, for garnishing
- Soak almonds in hot water for 30-40 mins.
- Remove the skin and grind to make a smooth paste. Use little milk if required.
- Wash rice 2-3 times. Spread washed rice over a muslin cloth and allow it dry for about 15 mins. After 15 mins, grind rice to a fine powder.
- In a heavy bottom pan or kadhai, add milk and grounded rice. Mix well and make sure there are no lumps. Keep flame off at this step.
- Now switch on the flame and cook this mixture on medium flame for about 15 mins or till the rice is cooked well. Keep stirring continuously.
- Add saffron strands and almond paste. Keep stirring and cook until kheer thickens to desired consistency.
- Add cardamom powder and sugar and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve the kheer hot or cold.
- Garnish with some chopped almonds and pistachios before serving.
Use of full cream is mandatory for this recipe to get that rich and creamy flavour.
Keep stirring continuously to avoid kheer from burning.
Serve it chilled with some chopped dry fruits on top, it tastes the best.