Kadhi Gole is a simple and delicious authentic Maharashtrian dish. It is yogurt-based curry with non fried chickpea/chana dal dumplings. kadhi gole is quite easy to make with easily available ingredients. Typically served with jowar/bajra bhakri, rice, and thecha.
To make this kadhi gole, we soak chana dal and then grind it coarsely. First, we prepare kadhi and once kadhi starts to boil, make small dumplings of the ground mixture and add it to the kadhi. Make sure you do not add dumplings one over the other otherwise it will not cook properly.
You may also like our other Maharashtrian recipes :
Sharing here my step-by-step recipe of Kadhi gole.
Maharashtrian Kadhi Gole Recipe
Here is how to make this Maharashtrian kadhi gole.
Ingredients for Kadhi
- Curd – 2 cups
- Besan/chickpea flour – 2 tbsp
- Water – 3 cups
- Curry leaves – 10-12 leaves
- Green chilies – 2-3, chopped
- Methi seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida/Hing – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Garlic – 4-5 cloves, chopped coarsely
- Ginger – 1/2 inch, chopped coarsely
- Fresh coriander – 2 tbsp, finely chopped
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for Gole/Dumplings
- Chana dal – 1 cup
- Water, for soaking chana dal
- Green chilies – 2
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste.
- Soak chana dal overnight with enough water.
- After soaking, drain all the water from chana dal.
- Transfer chana dal and green chillies to a mixer pot and grind it coarsely. Do not add any water while grinding. (Grind in two batches to get a nice texture.)
- Transfer ground mixture to a bowl. Add ginger-garlic paste, salt, red chilli powder and mix well. Keep it aside.
- In a bowl, add curd and besan, mix well. Add water and make a smooth batter without lumps. It should be of flowing consistency. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan/kadhai. Add methi seeds, green chilies, curry leaves, ginger, and garlic. Saute a minute.
- Add turmeric powder.
- Add the prepared curd besan batter. Give it a stir. Allow it to boil.
- When it starts boiling, start adding golas/dumplings of chana dal mixture. (Take a small portion of the chana dal mixture, make flat gola and add it to kadhi.)
- After adding 3-4 golas/dumplings wait for 2-3 minutes or until these dumplings come up and then add the rest of the golas.
- After adding all the golas, let the kadhi boil for 10 mins. Add finely chopped coriander. Switch off the flame. Your kadhi gole is ready to serve.
HOW TO SERVE
- Take 1-2 golas in your plate and crush them with your hands.
- Add kadhi over it. You can also add garlic chili tadka over it.
- Serve with hot bhakri/rice.
Once it is ready, remove the golas and keep it in a separate bowl otherwise the kadhi will thicken.